1) American Wife; The Novel by Curtis Sittenfeld: This novel looks at the life of a former first lady, her adolescence in rural Wisconsin and her marriage to a member of a political dynasty. The novel is loosely based on the life of Laura Bush and is intriguing from the start. We barely put this book down and were enthralled by the ride it gives you from start to end.
2) The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh: A sweet love story set in San Francisco entwined with the Victorian language of flowers. We loved learning the meanings behind bouquets and following the protagonist’s rags to riches story.
3) Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand: This cliff-hanger of a true story is based on the life of Olympian and war veteran Louie Zamperini. From his early years as a child of Italian immigrants in Southern California; Louie’s plane is shot down in the Pacific during the War and here he drifts at sea clinging to his life when he ends up in a harsh Japanese POW camp. You will be rooting for this protagonist from start to finish.
4) The Hare with the Amber Eyes by Edmund De Waal: Follow this family memoir as it twists and turns from japan to France and Odessa, while the writer traces the history of his family through miniature Japanese netsuke heirlooms. The book details the story of the Ephrussi family, a wealthy European Jewish banking dynasty and unfolds, giving the reader an insight into a history we rarely read about.
5) In The Unlikely Event by Judy Blume: As Blume fans from our teenage years, this recent book is a must read on our summer list. The story unfolds after a plane crashes in Elizabeth, New Jersey, and follows the lives affected by the series of unlikely events.
Liked this post? Then sign up for more Arabesque posts below.