Name: Hanne Bloch.
Home: Living in Copenhagen, Denmark with my husband. I have 2 kids who are now grown up and have left home to live abroad.
1. Tell us a little about your company/brand:
I used to work for an Italian fashion house for many years, but stopped in 2007 and was a bit "fed up" with fashion. However, friends convinced me that I was too good to leave all fashion behind, and so in 2008 I presented my own line at the Copenhagen Fashion Fair with great success.
There are so many good designers around, so I felt I had to find a niche where I could give something different and be unique, that’s why I chose swimwear.
The idea behind my brand is that the styles are versatile, and can be worn both at the poolside but also on a night out. You can easily wear one of my bikini tops under a dress, shirt etc. or one of the kaftans can be used at night.
2. What or who inspires you, and why?
My daughter, who is 19 years old, inspires me a lot and we do work together on ideas for prints and so on. I see inspiration in everything, every day is an inspiration.
3. What was the inspiration behind your newest collection?
The SS14 collection is “probably” (sometimes I don’t even know where it comes from) inspired from my trip to New York to visit my daughter, all the skyscrapers, the chaos and so on.
4. What is your favourite piece from your recent collection and why?
My favorite piece is the long kaftan with the zigzag print. You can dress it up and down, depending on your mood. I like the bohemian relaxed feeling, I’m going to wear it a lot this summer.
5. Do you have anything in the future you are really excited about for your brand?
I’m really excited that I will move to Mallorca in the near future. I feel that this will give me a lot of inspiration for my line; to be in the sunshine and near the sea will give the line some extra energy.
6. What is your one piece of advice you would give to any designer who is starting up or considering starting up?
Probably I would advise to be more than one person when starting a brand. It is important that each person has different skills so that you can support each other in building up the brand.
When I started I knew about being creative and not much about production, shipping, invoices etc. etc. Though I have learned so much in the 7 years it has been tough!!
7. Where are your favourite beaches/pools around the world and why?
I remember a lovely beach in Thailand/ Phi Phi Island, where I went with my family many years ago. We stayed in very basic palm huts along the beach, so relaxing and calm.
8. What are yourbeach bag essential?
A HANNE BLOCH bikini of course! And a kaftan to cover up.
Finally, 5 quick ‘getting to know you holiday’ questions:
- Bikini or One-piece: Bikini
- Heels or flats: Flats
- Beachside or Poolside: Beachside
- Deserted island or Party island: Deserted island
- Book or Music: Book
To see our full range of Hanne Bloch designs click here.